Friday, November 20, 2009

Blog #12: A Friend with Mental Illness

Have you ever known someone with a mental illness? How did/does the illness impact his/her life? What have you learned about this mental illness just from knowing them?

I have a very good friend, a man I have known for over ten years, who suffers from Bipolar Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder (MDD). I worked with this friend for a number of years, and remember that he often seemed very moody and depressed at times, but then seemed to be “on top of the world” at other times. I never really gave this much thought, and simply attributed the variations in his behavior to job stress and responsibilities. At that time we were only coworkers, but later our friendship deepened and we saw each other away from work in social settings. I began to realize that his mood swings were more than just a normal variation due to the stresses of day-to-day life. Still, he never talked with me about this until just a few months ago, and I am saddened to think that he continues to struggle with his mental illness every day. Apparently, this has been an issue for him for most of his adult life, and he has a strong family history of mental illness. He is an extremely intelligent, professional man with a position of intense responsibility, and I suspect the stresses of his position only add to his underlying mental health issues.

When we last spoke, he was involved in a daily exercise program and was taking medication to treat his illness. As a medical professional, himself, my friend is acutely aware of the signs and symptoms of mental illness, and I am glad to know he recognized this and sought professional help. I believe his illness affects every aspect of his life, especially interpersonal relationships, and I know he suffers from the extremes of the manic and depressive phases of his illness.

Although I have had other friends with Bipolar Disorder in the past, I was never truly informed about the illness and how it manifests itself. Because I wanted to be able to understand more about what was happening with my friend, I did a lot of reading and research regarding Bipolar Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder, and now have a better understanding of how and why he acts as he does. I have learned that men can be affected by depression just as severely as women, and that his social situation and family history put him at high risk for continued issues with mental health.

My sincere hope is that the treatment will be successful for him, and he can continue to enjoy the things in life that bring him joy and happiness.

Carol Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment