Saturday, October 24, 2009

Blog #8: Hormone Replacement Therapy, Or Not?

*Interview a woman who has or is going through menopause and has decided to take hormones. Allow her to share with you the reasons she has chosen to take them and how she feels it is beneficial for her health.

Hormone Replacement Therapy, Or Not?

I chose to interview my younger sister, CJ, regarding her decision to begin hormone replacement therapy (HRT). We are close in age, just 11 months apart, but CJ experienced menopause a little sooner than I have, partly due to the fact that she had an ectopic pregnancy approximately 20 years ago and had removal of one tube and ovary. She has been confirmed as menopausal by her physician, and recently began hormone replacement therapy. They discussed the benefits and possible side effects of therapy, and she decided that HRT seemed to be a good choice for her situation.

Her main reason for beginning HRT is because of our very strong family history of osteoporosis. Our grandmother was a strong, vibrant woman until her 70s, but by the time she reached her early 80s she was severely debilitated by osteoporosis and compression fractures in her spine, hips and ankles. Our mother, now in her mid-70s, is very limited in her physical ability due to back pain and osteoarthritis, and CJ, herself, has had considerable bone and joint problems over the past ten years. Her recent bone density studies have shown moderate bone loss. She has no other risk factors that might affect her overall health by taking HRT, i.e. she has no history of smoking, heart disease, blood clots, or breast cancer, and decided to begin HRT because she felt the potential benefits far outweighed the potential risks. She has been on HRT for several months now, and seems happy with the effect so far.

I, too, discussed the options of HRT with my physician, but have opted not to begin therapy at this time. What concerned me the most was the “disclaimer” presented to me with the prescription for medication. The “disclaimer” very clearly stated the potential increased risks for blood clots, stroke, uterine cancer or breast cancer, and I simply felt that the potential risks outweighed potential benefits.

The choice of whether or not to begin HRT is a very personal decision, but it is one that we must all eventually consider.

Carol Martin
Cmartin18@twu.edu

4 comments:

  1. Wow Carol what an incredibly difficult decision to make about your health and future. I am just hitting this stage and haven't had to quite make this decision yet. My mom had to have an emergency partial hysterectomy 25 years ago. She used to take HRT but she has stopped some years ago due to side effects and she has been doing good, although she has had some bone deterioation. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post was very insightful. The last sentence you posted really opened my eyes. Never before have I considered myself in the equation when it comes to HRT. Its true as women we are all going to have to make this difficult decision one day and for some sooner than later. After reading your post I thought about my decision and I have no clue, I think I will have to trust my doctors opinion because he is the only qualified person to diagnose my problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Menopause is a process that every woman's body must go through. Most women
    probably know the side effects, symptoms, and overall discomfort that come with menopause and this can, of course, make them feel worried that it may affect their personal, social, or professional lives. Yet, if there was a solution that could help ease the pain of menopause most women would take it Probably, but many women don't know is that there can be serious side effects when going through Hormonal Replacement Therapy. From reading your blog, I conclude saying that decisions and ideologies are dependent upon circumstances, especially when we have to personally go through it. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read the whole information regarding Hormone Replacement therapy.According to my view,this therapy is not useful as it can alter the process of characteristics and many disorder.From this information,I come to know that Our grandmother was a strong, vibrant woman until her 70s, but by the time she reached her early 80s she was severely debilitated by osteoporosis and compression fractures in her spine, hips and ankles.

    autism

    ReplyDelete