Friday, September 4, 2009

TWU - Women's Health 3350 - Blog #1

Blog #1:

What health issues you are most concerned about? Why? Interview 2-3 women (different ages, ethnicities and/or cultures if possible) and ask them the same question. Are your concerns similar or different? Explain.


My response:
My major concerns with women's health issues relate to the alarming rate of breast cancer, HPV and resulting cervical cancer, and HIV. This concerns me because I see how such illnesses affect every aspect of our lives, and if diagnosed with such an illness, how devastating this can be to our own health and the health and well-being of our families.

I interviewed several members of my own family, neighbors and friends, with ages ranging from 25 to 75, and asked all of them the same questions: "As a woman, tell me the three things that concern you most from a health care standpoint?" Nearly everyone agreed, at least to some degree, on what was the most pressing concern regarding women's health: breast cancer. While the younger women seemed slightly more concerned with HPV, the risk of cervical cancer, and HIV, the middle-aged and senior women seemed to be more concerned about breast cancer risks, but all agreed that breast cancer is a very serious health care concern.... not only in the U.S., but worldwide.

As far as my own concerns, I would have to agree that breast cancer is extremely concerning to me, as I have lost several good friends and coworkers to this devastating disease, and I realize that this disease has no age discrimination .... young women, middle-aged women, and senior women are all affected. This is why I encourage every woman I know to have routine checkups and yearly mammograms.

4 comments:

  1. Carol,
    Many of the women I spoke with had similar concerns about breast cancer. It seems as those all women have known or know of someone that has experienced this horrible disease. I think more needs to be done in both finding a cure for the disease and educating women on the importance of having mammograms and routine checkups.
    Ashley Crandall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,

    You are absolutely right. Breast cancer is another concern of a majority of women out there. I don't think enough information is given as to what causes it. Maybe its because there are so many clinical reports out that no one is able to just pinpoint exactly what it is. For example, I've heard that birth control pills can cause breast cancer. Yet the FDA has approved it for use among women for years. In this world we live in, we are either opening ourselves up as lab rats or not taking enough preventative care due to being scared of the side affects from clinically tested products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Carol. Breast cancer is a scary disease that affects so many women. I perform exams daily on women with breast cancer, and one thing I've noticed is that they are getting younger and younger. I used to see patients that were mainly above 50 or so. Now it is not uncommon for me to scan a 30 year old with breast cancer. Hopefully this is just because women are staying educated and getting routine screenings at an earlier age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    It is very helpful and thoughtful article.You have shown many interesting facts about the woman health.

    huile essentielle

    ReplyDelete