===================================
Although we had a multitude of topics to choose from for our blog discussion this week, I chose to discuss the need for health/sex education in our public schools because I firmly, adamantly believe this is just as important as the required core curriculum classes necessary for graduation from high school.
In my opinion, the critical information taught and learned within this classroom setting will only serve in a positive way to educate and teach our youth about sexual health, disease prevention and healthy lifestyles, and this information is invaluable if we are to effectively promote healthy lifestyles to our children, students and families. To eliminate or dilute such sex education programs within our public school systems is a disservice to our youth, and only exemplifies the fact that “funding is more important than function.” I believe it is our responsibility as parents, family members, and educators to insist that our health and sex education programs continue within the public school system, and to become involved in the decision-making process regarding school curriculums.
As a very young child, perhaps age six or seven, I vividly recall having a “sex education” conversation with my mother. As I sat on the edge of the bed while she starched and ironed my school dresses, I remember asking her, “Mommy, how did you get me?” She thought about the question for a few minutes and then very matter-of-factly explained the “birds and bees” to me. That was the one and only sex education conversation I ever had with my mother. But at least I had that. Many children and adolescents have no education, whatsoever, from their parents or family members, and are left to learn on their own --- often with serious consequences.
Much controversy about school-based sex education programs continues to exist, and although the federal government has endorsed Abstinence-Only Until Marriage (AOUM) educational programs, the effectiveness of such programs show little improvement in changing adolescent behavior over comprehensive sexuality educational programs (Alexander, LaRosa, Bader, Garfield and Alexander, 2010).
My opinion is that we should continue comprehensive sex education programs at the junior high and high school levels. This is not meant to condone or promote sexual behavior among our adolescents, but to acknowledge that they will continue to learn and experiment despite what we tell them to do, as in the “Abstinence-Only Until Marriage” method of teaching sex education. As teen pregnancy, incidence of STIs and HIV continue to be a very prevalent issue among our adolescent population, I believe it is our responsibility to educate to the best of our ability, so our children and adolescents have the information necessary to make the best choices.
Carol Martin
References
Alexander, L.L., LaRosa, J.H., Bader, H., Garfield, S., Alexander, W.J. (2010) Dimensions in women’s health. (5th Ed.) Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.

Carol,
ReplyDeleteI agree totally with your ideas on sexual education in the public school system. I believe that a good sex education in school, combined with a informative sex education from the church and family can help deter our children away from dangerous sexual practices.
Vikki D. Littleton
Great blog Carol. I absolutely agree that children need all the information they can get on sex. Many adolescents do not get "the talk" from their parents therefore sex education in school may be the one and only way that kids get informed.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCarol,
ReplyDeleteAs I read your blog, your conversation with your mother reminded me of my conversation with my grandmother. My grandmother and I are very close; when I was 15 years old, I remember asking her what an “orgasm” was. She quickly responded, “You know I’m 55 years old and have that same question!”
I will never forget this-- she suggested we both research the topic by reading and asking the right person. My assignment was to find books that would talk about “orgasms” and she would make a phone call to see her doctor. Being the typical lazy teenager I decided to “google” the term and let me tell you I received more information than I ever wanted and saw images I still rather not even remember.
My grandmother on the other hand had been given plenty of information by her doctor and was even referred to a “sex therapist.” I am now married and have a child of my own. I laugh as I think back to this anecdote, but feel that what my grandmother did for me and my curiosity is something that we should all take the time to do. It is important for everyone to feel comfortable with their sexuality and most importantly to be well informed about different issues that pertain to health.
Monica L.
Hello Carol,
ReplyDeleteSex education is definetely something that children should be required to take and learn about. Many kids go without knowing about their body parts or what sex is when I think it should really be taught in the home as well as school. I can recall my first "birds and the bees" talk, I was actually watching a movie and then went on to ask Mom what is Birds and the Bees I remember the suprised look on her face, but she knew it was about time that we sat down and had the "talk". Learning from educators and other people about sex is important, but I think it is better to first learn it at home. I agree that there is alot of controversy in sex being taught in school, but I do not understand what is the big deal they are going to find out about it one day.
Tramesha Stephens